Spicy Tomato soup
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes (Italian seasoning)
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped (2 1/4 cups)
- 1 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh jalapeño chile including seeds
- 1 teaspoons finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 small serving of yogurt (85g)
- 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1/4 chopped toasted almonds
Directions: If almonds aren't toasted stick them in the oven on broil until brown.
Olive oil in the pan, saute onions, jalapenos, garlic and ginger until caramelized md. heat. Add the seasonings stir for a few seconds. Add tomatoes, broth. Cook until warm. Add almonds and yogurt and serve. So simple and so delicious.
And tomato soup isn't complete without grilled cheese. And my husband, well, he might be simple in some aspects in his life, but when it comes to food, he's NO simpleton. Even a grilled cheese sandwich has to be COMPLICATED! So here is his FANCY SCHMANCY grilled cheese:
Fancy Schmancy Grilled Cheese
- cheeses (of your choice) we like munster cheese and pepper jack
- 1/4 of an onion
- jalepeno to taste
- pinch of garlic, cumin, chili powder
- deli slice of turkey
On the skillet heat the turkey deli. Remove and set aside.
Buttered bread toasted on both sides a little and add sauteed goodies, add the Munster cheese and possible other cheeses of your choice on top of that so that it will melt on top of all the goodies. The turkey slice comes next, followed by the bread.