More Facts & Trivia About the Philippines
- There are more than 10 million Filipinos living overseas, of this, about 8 million are OFWs or Overseas Filipino Workers. Their remittances account for 10.8% of the country's GDP (Gross Domestic Product).
- Dr. Jose Rizal, the national hero of the Philippines can read and write at the age of 2. He grew up speaking 20 foreign languages including French, Greek, Chinese, Latin and German.
- The karaoke is a Filipino invention, not Japanese. Karaoke meaning "singing without accompaniment" in Japanese was invented by Roberto del Rosario. He called his invention "Sing-Along-System", which was later called karaoke.
- The Philippine flag is the only flag in the world that is displayed upside-down when the country is in war (red on top and blue at the bottom when in war).
- The Philippines is considered the "text capital of the world". They text more than the total daily text messages sent in the U.S. and Europe combined.
- However, China has overtaken the Philippines by sheer volume of users. Even though the Chinese sent more text messages in total, they send an average of only 3 text messages per cell phone per day, while Filipinos sends on average 20 text messages per cell phone user per day.